Monday 4 July 2011

Purpose and Promise


It is very easy in life just to get on with things. 

To wander through our days never really thinking about what we're doing.

We can find ourselves stuck in routine and, because of that, just living routinely. Some things excite us - holidays, a new car, clothes, even a new relationship... but equally there are lots of things we do which bore us but which have to be done - brushing your teeth, washing the car, maybe even going to school or work. I've been guilty many times of simply getting up, doing the day and then going to sleep before I've even really thought about it.

There's a brilliant quote by Oscar Wilde which says this:

"To live is the rarest thing in the World. Most people exist, that is all."

What is it that changes existence into actual living then? What is it that makes us more than just survivors? What is it that gives us reason?

Purpose.

It is purpose which affects everything you do. Purpose which shapes and defines our days. Purpose which changes our lives. All of our actions, the mundane and the exciting, come from our purpose. For example: going to the gym 3 times a week isn't your purpose. It comes out of your purpose of getting fit.

And so I want to ask the question: What is your purpose?

Jesus showed us our greatest purpose in the Book of Matthew, Chapter 22:36-40 when He said this: Love God. Love People. He was clear, to the point and precise yet those 4 words are incredibly challenging.

Love God? Even when everything's going wrong? Even when it hurts? Even though it means I might have to give up other things? 

Love people? Even when they gossip about me? Even when I can't stand them, can't forgive them? Even my enemies? Even when I can't be bothered?

If we look at this from an Earthly point of view it's easy for our immediate reaction to be 'Why should I?' but combined with Purpose comes another word: Promise.

God's promises for us are pretty crazy (in an unbelievably good way):

1) Eternity and Forgiveness- For God so loved the World that He gave His one and only Son, Jesus Christ, so that if you believe in Him you won't die but instead you'll have eternal life in Heaven. Jesus came as God to this world but humbled himself to be a man. He died on the cross to take away my shame and sin so that I could spend an eternity in perfection with a perfect God. He forgives all my mistakes and doesn't count them against me. He offers you the same.

2) God's Spirit with us now - 'But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative, that is, the Holy Spirit, he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you. I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give.' God's gift of His Spirit fills us with God's love, God's hope, God's patience, His kindness, His faith and contentment and joy which can not be found anywhere else on this Earth. We are also filled with His power to heal the sick and see miracles!

3) Plan's - 'For I know the Plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to bring you to harm'. God has big plans for you. Huge plans for your future. Great plans to make you succeed. 

The thing about our God is that He is a close Father rather than a distant Dictator. So not only does He give us a purpose to Love Him and so to Love the people He loves too, but He cares for us individually. He knows the number of hairs on our head and He knows our life plan before we're even born. God cares enough to give us an Individual Purpose. And why does He do this? Trust us with an individual purpose? Give us a dream and a vision for our lives? Because He believes in our promise and our potential. He can see what our lives can look like and He wants us to get there. 

I believe God is beginning to show me my individual purpose and I pray that He would reveal yours for you too if you're not sure at the moment. One thing I can say though is that as we grow in fulfilling our purpose of Loving God and Loving People, God reveals more of His individual purpose for our lives. Keep pressing into God and living out that purpose and He will take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment